Friday, December 8, 2017

And then there were 2

As it seems and is no TRUE surprise, it seems we may have two neurologically tricky children in this house...  My youngest is a solid 4.5 years old and is just getting revved up.  Lately there has been a LOT of screaming and storms.  Anger.  Lots of disregulated anger.  It is a level that we didn't have to deal with in the raising of my son... or any of the siblings actually.  But possibly we have had a break through this week after a particularly disturbing and loud storm.  Now, there is a jar... with rewards and tokens that can be added or removed depending on behavior.  We set rules and options for how to deal with anger appropriately.  And there has been some obvious improvement.

But the most obvious thing that I have seen this week is that we are indeed dealing with another neurological child... and sadly that really changes soooo much.  I have seen it... I have been watching her with my eyes wide open over the years.  But a bit of procrastination and denial have been my sidekicks!  But that time is coming to an end more rapidly than I had hoped.

The acceptance of that reality does change a lot.  It means separating her room with her sister.  It means stricter discipline and constant on her case.  It means carefully watching her hunger and tiredness levels.  might mean IEP's and therapy...

There is a lot to monitor here... and I am thankful I'm not left to navigate it alone!  That's for sure!

ON TOP OF ALL THAT: my son started Ritalin this week...a fact I'm not much excited about.  I'm not sure that I am ready for the drama of trying a new med!  But he has had 4 doses and I certainly haven't seen much improvement.  In fact, so far, his behavior hasn't even been its best...
So who knows.  Still monitoring that before bumping that dose up! 

Going to be a holiday season to remember I'm sure!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment