Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Labels

Though I hate the labels, I know exactly what it feels like to be able to identify with someone and their diagnosis!  You feel hopeful just knowing that you aren't alone!  You feel encouraged cause you see restoration in them if they are further along in their journey.  You feel peace... and truthfully you can often gain insight if they are walking this journey as well!  Maybe they'll have some advice or a therapy that worked for them.  Maybe a parenting trick has really turned out for them that you'd like to try!  At Parkaire, Sheryl and Dan Pruit call them "Our Kids".  That's what I mean.  It gives a sense of solidarity and also shared responsibility.  Takes away that feeling of isolation and gives hope.  Hope is my favorite.  Hope keeps up going when there is nothing but a tiny bit of raveling string at the end of our rope.  So I'm going to lay it out for you, and we will move forward from there.

My love of a son has Tourrette's Syndrome.  In his case, and in MANY cases, this doesn't come alone.  He also carries quietly (to most everybody else) the labels of OCD, Anxiety disorder, Mood disorder, ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder.  To be honest, I feel like I'm forgetting one at this point, but this gives you the general idea.  Y'all I have to brush this kid!!  5 times a day.  I have thought through space in my house where maybe just maybe there will be enough room to hang a swing.  His weighted blanket is coming for Christmas... in soothing colors (not his favorite color which is red)!  Not wild sides with any of his other favorite things like sharks, video game characters... nothing that will trigger an obsession.

You can see that I'm at the beginning of the sensory journey!  Ha!  I promise I flop like a fish between being all in on those therapies and thinking that it's total quackery and that I'm being taken for ALOT of money!! In reality, I'm supposed to sensory brush my child 5 times a day right now... deep touch basically like a massage, in order to trigger sensory recognition input in his body.  This may not come as a HUGE shock to those that know him and have spent time with him, but he may not be fully aware of where his space actually ends and begins lol!!! You know those fantastic kids that I really can't get enough of, but have almost no personal space.  They are all over you and their friends, sometimes intentionally and some times by sheer accident?!  Always.  He's Always been like that.  And he has friends like that too!  Those are the real joys.  Locking into those kids who don't care about that personal space either!!

This is the time for pause.  Close your eyes and take a slow nose breath.  Stop at the top and hold it.  1...2...3... now slowly release if through your nose as well.  If you need another.  Pause and do another couple!  You are not alone.  We are in this too.  And we walk it too!  It is hard.  The hardest thing I've ever done!  But we are here.  We have breath in our lungs and that means that our purpose on this earth is ongoing!  So, even though, Mama... Dad... I KNOW you are tired.  Believe me I KNOW.  Press in and Press on.  Make space for rejuvenation.  It's OK.  If you homeschool it's doubly hard.  But you can.  And I know you will.  It's what we do.  We DIG to find it at least half the time, but WE FIGHT!!  So don't give up.  Be encouraged.

Our Bible lesson this week in school is from Luke.  Stating that What seems impossible with men is POSSIBLE  with God!  I don't know about you, but I need to be reminded of this often!!  If Abraham and Sarah can have that promised son after years and years of questioning that promise of God!  But at almost 100 years of age, they have him...finally.  If they can be given those gifts and at that ancient of age?!  Then we can y'all.  We CAN raise these babies to be self governing, fully functioning adults!  And let's make this distinction.  THAT. LIVE. ON. THEIR. OWN!  Ha!  But seriously.  This is a HUGE goal Right?!!

I leave you with a blessing of Peace.  May it always find you.  In the quiet moments, and especially the loud, stormy ones.  May you seek it often and let it wash over you and fill in your gaps.  John 14:27 says, " 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid!"  Take courage in that!

No comments:

Post a Comment