Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Martian Mom

If you are the mom of ANY child... but especially one with eccentricities, differences, special needs, whatever you choose to call it, may I suggest that you run (don't walk) to rent, buy, or borrow the movie "Martian Child" starring John Cusack.  Wow.  Just wow.  You see I saw it years ago, and have a fun girl non-crush on most of John Cusack's characters in movies and this one is no exception!

I had forgotten how good it was.  Slightly unrealistic of course, but then, it's a movie.  But Oh so good.  Why are we so desperate for our people, family, kids, etc to fit in.  Be what we expect.  I'm not happy with that cage personally.  I feel trapped or like an outsider cause I refuse the cage altogether.  What if we took the cage away entirely?

Can you tell I'm struggling today with my precious neuro boy.  Do I really want him to be typical?  Am I ok with medicating him so that he can manage a classroom or sitting and doing dull work like the rest of us are expected to do?  I can see how unregulated repetitive building of claw machines (out of boxes and tape which is OH so cool) doesn't fall in the safe and healthy zone...

Why is parenting soooooooo difficult?  Why can't I desire alone time and not feel guilty?  I imagine the day that Precious one can sit through a class day and manage... What in the world would I do with all that time?! Seriously?! I feel like I would sleep for at least the first month straight!!

But on the other spectrum, what if he is not meant to be in school.  What if his place is learning things in an atypical way at home with a teacher (me) who is willing to tailor it to his needs.  Such a difficult row to hoe.  He has to learn to do some things he doesn't like and to be ok with that.  Truthfully, all I can think is that the rest of the world will NOT likely be willing to make adjustments for him.

Martian Child.  They are all a bit Martian... as are we.

No comments:

Post a Comment