Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Mom's Group

There was a time when the idea of getting up at 5am and leaving my house with my special needs 8 year old seemed like the worst idea!!! Not anymore y'all!  First off, my entire process of getting ready is quiet.  I get to think!  And think only about the things that I choose!  I know right?!  AND!!!! I get to fix myself up!  Like cute outfit with matching jewelry, made up face and actual hair do!  The whole thing immediately makes me feel like a real human person!  I know! I know! Totally worth the loss of an extra hour or so of sleep!

And why do I do all this?  well technically there is more than one reason, but I just needed the pushing of the one to create the other.  So my son needed/ needs an extra therapy session.  More organized and educational if you will.  She is GREAT!  He loves her and responds well with her!  But since I had to get him to her early, I decided to suck it up and put my big girl unders on and deal with it.  30 minutes earlier still and I could attend moms group!  YES! there is a moms group at the Clinic.

Shameless plug for which I get nothing except a healthier community... If you are anywhere in the vicinity of Atlanta and your kid has special needs... PLEASE look up Parkaire Consultants in Marietta!  It may not be for you, but I can assure you that it is worth the exploration!

Now, back to moms group.  Yes, they have a moms group.  And these women are quickly becoming my friends.  It is a group therapy I'm sure.  There are check ins and affirmations!  There is tons of honesty.  There is lots and lots of gleaning.  Most of the moms in there are seasoned (this is my perspective of course) as compared to me, so it is a blessing for me to listen to their stories and see from where they are!  But there are 4 therapists in there also!  Some are in training, lol, but still.  We are well taken care of.  And almost most importantly there is coffee!  Also tea... and usually fruits and nuts.  It's just lovely and refreshing!

So we had moms group first thing!  For a solid 2 hours!! then I went straight to yoga.  It was just right as far and stretching and difficulty.  Then a quick lunch, then therapy check in with our primary therapist.  Then back home!  I got to have a chiropractic visit and talk jewelry with my sitter also a new jeweler!  I threw together the laziest mom dinner ever... but my hubs blessed me with a super fun dinner just for me!  And then after all that... I went to my band practice (which I can hardly call mine as it is primarily being moved along by my co writer and conspirator)!  I wasn't feeling it tonight.  Too tired.  But I pushed through and of course it was lovely!

Life isn't perfect here.  And it isn't even back to normal.  Honestly i've never found a normal!  But There are moments of goodness and joy that we are learning to acknowledge and let in.  We had a pretty difficult week last week in general with frustration and anger.  "I give up" was heard a few too many times... over silly small stuff.  BUT we are moving along.  We aren't accepting failure or defeat, we are pressing forward and learning from our moments.  The challenge of growing an 8 year old that is currently beginning the emotional progress of a 2 or 3 year old is often exhausting, but progress is progress.  I've done toddlers before.  I have several more kids than the one... so we will do it again.

Today, we go for a physical exam with suspicion of a hernia... yes my 8 year old... He is serious about his work outs.  Let's hope it is less than we think and nothing serious.  Heaven knows we don't need anymore things to work through with that one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment